- North America will be split into: NA East + NA West.
- NA East servers are located in: Virginia and Ohio (this is currently NA today).
- NA West servers are located in: Northern California and Oregon (new).
- Many players on west coast U.S. + Canada, along with parts of Mexico, will have ping improvement ranging from minor to major (ping cut in half in some cases).
- You should auto-route to the most optimal region, but we recommend double checking your settings once 2.3.0 is live.
- Playing with friends in other regions is still 100% seamless. You just party up as normal and the Party Leader’s region will determine the region for the match.
- Why are there now two datacenters per region?:
- Matches are currently randomly distributed between them (Virginia/Ohio for NA East for example).
- Long-term we are looking to make this more intelligent and seamlessly group players into the best possible experience.
- The datacenters within each region have very small ping variance for majority of players.
- We need to run in multiple datacenters to support player counts and have redundancy in the case of datacenter-specific issues.
The Fortnite Team
Source: Fortnite Forum (view original article)