MAY 24 – AUG 23
Driven by an insatiable lust for power, Calus seeks the approval of a new master. His once-opulent ship, now derelict and corrupted, has returned to our galaxy—its sights set on the power promised by the Pyramid ship lying dormant on the Moon. As the Leviathan forms a connection with the Pyramid, Nightmares of humanity’s past awaken and threaten to torment any who dare intervene. Stare into the abyss and find bravery within the mantle of the reaper and the steel of the scythe.
Summary of What’s New?
- Season Pass
- Solar 3.0
- Sever Weekly Mission (Requires Season Pass)
- Nightmare Containment Activity (Free for all players)
- Crucible Map: Disjunction
- Trials Armor and Cosmetics
- Event Update
- Dungeon and Raid Rotator
- Iron Banner Rework
- Rift Crucible Game Mode
- and more!
Power and Progression
- Power Bands have been increased for the new Season:
- Power Floor: 1350 (unchanged)
- Soft Cap: 1510 (up from 1500)
- Powerful Cap: 1560 (up from 1550)
- Hard Cap: 1570 (up from 1560)
- The Character Power Boost has been increased to 1510 with the new Soft Cap.
- Vault space has been increased by 100 (was 500, is now 600).
S17 // STORY
Ghosts of our Past
Power, depravity, vengeance. The object of Calus’s desire has taken many shapes over the years. His once-opulent ship, now derelict and corrupted, has returned to our galaxy—its sights set on the Pyramid ship lying dormant on the Moon.
Ghosts of our Past
As the Leviathan forms a connection with the Pyramid, Nightmares of the past awaken and threaten to torment any who dare intervene. Stare into the abyss and find bravery within the mantle of the reaper and the steel of the scythe.
To better respond to the imminent threat, the H.E.L.M. has engaged its mobile command center capabilities and is now running dark within the Moon’s orbit.
S17 // ACTIVITIES
Evil resonates within the hull of the emperor’s wretched vessel. Summon the most challenging Nightmares and cleanse them with fire.
Navigate the Leviathan’s labyrinthine Underbelly, uncover the truth behind Calus’s sinister plan, and sever the Nightmares he controls.
S17 // GEAR
Nightmares & Splendor
Wield Shiro-4’s Exotic Sidearm and let lightning flash across the tarnished gold of the Leviathan’s twisted halls. Season Pass holders will instantly unlock this weapon and its Catalyst.
Reap a host of legendary armaments and fabled weaponry last seen within the emperor’s coveted collection.
Hauntingly beautiful weapons that obliterate Nightmares so swiftly, you’ll think you’re dreaming.
Ghostly glowing Guardians carrying the Light into the shadows of the Moon—you are the nightmare your enemies fear.
S17 // GEAR
Gear, XP, rewards! Get the Season Pass and instantly unlock the new Exotic Sidearm. Also get XP boosts that speed up Seasonal ranks and reward track unlocks.
Unleash unrepentance with Trespasser’s catalyst and its nightmarish rank-100 Season Pass ornament.
Collect new Season of the Haunted ornament sets and become a gleaming bulwark of fire and steel.
Over 100 rewards, including XP boosts, Exotic engrams, upgrade materials, cosmetics and more.
SEASON PASS REWARDS
Season Pass Owners
Free for Everyone
Instantly Unlocked Exotic Weapon
Seasonal Story Missions
Seasonal Reward Track
Seasonal Gear and Armor
Selected Gear and Armor
Seasonal Artifact and Mods
Solar 3.0 Subclass Updates
FREE FOR ALL PLAYERS
Solar becomes the latest subclass to receive a complete redesign empowered by the ultra-customizable Aspects and Fragments system. Light the flames of creativity, discover new builds, and prove that there’s never a bad time to fight fire with fire.
Befriend these incandescent priests and find restoration. Oppose them and glimpse annihilation within the rain of a shattered dawn.
Radiant duelists who live within blinding displays of dexterity and skill. Beware the truth of their aim and the molten edge of their blade.
Siege engines powered by the fury of undying suns. To confront them is to cede ground and ignite the maelstrom that ends all things.
S17 // BUNDLE
Purchase the Season of the Haunted Silver Bundle and receive the Paper Windmill emote along with 1,700 Silver (1,000 + 700 bonus Silver) which you can use to purchase Seasons, cosmetics, and more! Visit the Seasons tab in-game to use your Silver and buy Season of the Haunted. To unlock your new emote, speak with Master Rahool in the Tower.
One-time purchase available during Season of the Haunted. Silver is an in-game currency used at the Eververse store. Season not included with purchase.
Next week, a brand-new dungeon launces on Friday, May 27 at 10 AM Pacific.
Normal Recommended Power: 1550
- Master difficulty will be live day one as well, but Bungie is leaving those entry requirements for you to see in the game next week.
Here is a high-level look at all of the rewards available from the dungeon next Friday:
- 1 Legendary Armor Set Per Class
- Artifice Versions can also be acquired via Master Difficulty
- 4 Legendary New Weapons
- 2 Legendary Reprised Weapons
- 1 Exotic Weapon
- 1 Exotic Catalyst
- 1 Exotic Accessory (Ship or Sparrow)
- 2 Legendary Emblems
Assuming you plan to brave the challenges that await you, these are the treasures you can claim.
Best way to get this dungeon as well as the one coming in Season 19 is to have the Digital Deluxe Edition of The Witch Queen. If you have that, you are already good to go! If you want to experience an entire year of Destiny 2 content and haven’t purchased the Deluxe Edition yet, starting next Tuesday, it’s going to be on sale for 25% off (exact timing and duration may vary by platform).
If you just want the dungeons, totally fine, you can pick up both as part of The Witch Queen Dungeon Key in the Eververse store for 2000 Silver.
Source: TWAB – May 19, 2022
Trials will make its first return in Season 17 on June 10, 2022.
When Trials comes back around, there will be some new loot to earn.
- Fusion Rifle and Sidearm
- New Armor sets (see image above)
- Ghost Shell and Falcon’s Chase Sparrow (see below)
More details will be available at a later date.
IRON BANNER REWORK
Source: TWAB – May 19, 2022
IRON BANNER REWORK AND OTHER CHANGES
The info below is from this Bungie article.
Summary of changes coming in Season 17:
- Power level is disabled (does not apply to Trials).
- Rift will be the game mode for Iron Banner events.
- Tokens will be removed and will be replaced by a similar ranking system to Crucible/Shaxx.
- Saladin is getting a full focusing implementation. Players will be able to convert Iron Engrams into any current Iron Banner weapons or armor set that have been earned previously, for a cost with in-game materials.
- New Daily Challenges
- New “Iron Lord” Seal & Title
- Brand New Introductory Quest
Iron Banner will be available two different times in Season 17, those times are:
- Week 2: May 31
- Week 8: July 12
Here is how the revamped Iron Banner reputation will work:
- Play matches with each match earning more towards Iron Banner reputation.
- Win matches to earn a small bonus based on your current Iron Banner rank.
- Wear Iron Banner armor (or just as ornaments on your own non-Iron Banner gear) and equip Iron Banner weapons to max out your gear multiplier at 200%.
- Five total pieces must be equipped, though please remember this includes Iron Banner armor and Iron Banner ornaments.
- Complete the daily Iron Banner challenges to tack on 100% to your challenge multiplier for the rest of the week.
- Yes, this means for each challenge.
- Use an Iron Banner emblem for an additional 10% emblem multiplier.
All modifiers will be listed on the launch screen, seen below:
Daily challenges: For the first four days of each Iron Banner week, Guardians will unlock a new daily challenge. These challenges unlock each day whether you complete them or not, so if you log in on Friday, you can do them all in succession if you want to. Rewards will also stack reputation bonuses for the remainder of the week alongside a Pinnacle Iron Engram. The weekly bounties that typically award Pinnacles have been deprecated appropriately to balance out this change.
Becoming an Iron Lord: With these new Iron Banner reworkings, a new Seal and title will also be available to earn. To set expectations for this new Seal and title, Iron Lord hopefuls can expect to spend around 15 to 20 hours to unlock this flair. Some of the more hardcore players could unlock this in one week if focused, but Bungie expects most players to need a second week – maybe even a second Season. Intrepid Iron Lords will be able to gild the title in Season 18.
Becoming a Young Wolf: For anyone that may be scratching their head at some of these changes, Lord Saladin will offer a brand-new quest that will introduce all of these features and demonstrate how they work. You only have to run through it once per account, but with this reset Bungie wanted everyone to get the same introduction, even Iron Banner veterans will need to do this. In fact, you’ll need to start this quest to even access the Iron Banner node.
To even out this change and to welcome the new quest, we will no longer be producing the Seasonal Iron Banner quest.
Rift is back: Rift is a game mode hat Destiny veterans may remember, but for those that may be new to what this is, here’s what you need to know. Rift is an objective-based Crucible mode that plays more like a game of soccer or rugby than it does Clash. Teams of Guardians will attempt to take the Spark from the middle of the map into the base of the enemy team and dunk it into the enemy Rift. One dunk equals one point, the first to make it to five points or to have the upper hand by the 10-minute mark wins.
- A Spark appears in the center of the map a few seconds after a match starts or a point is scored and can be picked up by interacting with it for a couple seconds. The Spark itself is a buff that allows full weapon and ability usage aside from Super.
- For the first five seconds after picking up the Spark, or for a few seconds after taking damage, both teams receive a waypoint for the Spark holder. After that, the waypoint only remains for the Spark holder’s own team—marking the Spark holder for your teammates is important!
- If you die while carrying the Spark, it drops to the ground where you died (or nearby if the spot is not navigable).
- If you hold onto the Spark too long, it detonates.
- Team resurrections are enabled in Rift, so make sure and help your teammates in the middle of a push, or if you are playing defense.
- There are no points for kills, just for Spark dunks, so playing the objective is key.
- When Rift is in Iron Banner, the Hunt is on when your team has the Spark. When the music intensifies, it’s time to score!
- There are several ways to extend matches past the time limit:
- Continuation: At end of regulation time, If the current Spark holder could change the outcome of the match—either the game is tied, or if the current Spark holder is down one point—the match continues until the current Spark holder drops the Spark or scores.
- Sudden Death Multispark: If there is a tie after time is up, the game enters a 90-second overtime where three sparks spawn in midfield. Who will be the first to score? Chaos reigns.
- After the sudden-death timer is up, Sparks stop dropping on death, and any Sparks on the ground are removed. As soon as the last Spark is eliminated without a score, the match ends in a tie.
New Crucible Map
Disjunction will be available on day-one of Season 17 for all 6v6, 3v3, and Free -for -All modes in Crucible, as well as in Iron Banner. The map is called Disjunction and is a symmetric map with a base on either end, three lanes with plenty of crossovers, and large backfields. It takes place in the swampy Pyramid area of Savathûn’s Throne World, so expect lots of many-butted horses, transparent brown glass, and art deco designs.
Other Crucible changes
Season 17 is also bringing back Zone Control to Crucible. Zone Control, for anyone that might not be familiar, is a 6v6 mode like Control, only that Guardians don’t get any points for kills. This is intentional, because sometimes matching with random players can result in disjointed team play that can obscure objective focus. To keep all eyes on the objective, players will get points every 15 seconds for every zone that is in their control – so it is very much more diving into a defensive area control game that will allow players to highlight various skill and abilities, rather than just focusing on landing that headshot.
- Each waypoint has a timer that shows when points are being awarded in addition to which team currently owns it.
- Because this is a team effort mode, solo capping takes 22.5 seconds versus having a full fireteam playing together can cap a zone in 7.5 seconds. “Stronger together” isn’t just said because we like Saladin’s voice actor.
- Cap all zones and dramatic music will intensify. Spooky.
Crucible Labs: Zone Control
Zone Control will be launched via a new Crucible Labs node starting in Week 5 (June 21) and will be available until the end of the Season with the exception of when Iron Banner is live.
In addition to what’s new, we are also making some tuning changes to various existing Crucible modes:
- Team gains 1 point per participant when capturing a zone, rather than 1 flat point.
- This is how it was in Destiny 1.
- Time limit is lowered to 90 seconds to match Trials of Osiris.
- Points for Super kills increased to 3 (previously 2).
- Increased score target to 200 (previously 150).
- Decreased time limit to 7 minutes (previously 8).
- Increased time limit to 10 minutes (was 8).
- Increased round score targets to 15 (was 10).
There are just a few more things. Still with me? Good. Onto Gambit.
Ritual Reputation Streak balancing: Speaking of streaks, Bungie has been listening to your feedback on the activity streak system that has been used for the last two Seasons and we’ve made a few adjustments for the Seasons ahead.
The activity streak now takes the sum of streak values across the four reputations (Crucible/Gambit/strikes/Dares) and adjusts them to a maximum of 5 total. If you complete a match that would bring the sum of these over 5, it subtracts a point from the streak of every ritual besides the one you just played. Most importantly, entering any non-ritual activity has no effect.
- You play 5 Crucible matches. You have an activity streak value of Crucible: 5.
- You play a Gambit match. You now have Gambit: 1, Crucible: 4.
- You play 2 more Gambit matches. You now have Gambit: 3, Crucible: 2.
- You play 1 strike. You now have Vanguard: 1, Gambit: 2, Crucible: 1.
- You play another strike. You now have Vanguard: 2, Gambit: 2, Crucible: 1.
Gambit Reputation: With the updates to the Gambit mode with the launch of The Witch Queen, Gambit matches are taking about 60 seconds longer per match than the Beyond Light version (while still being a few minutes shorter than either Forsaken-era Gambit or Gambit Prime). We also noticed that the Gambit reputation-gain rate has dropped behind both Crucible and Vanguard, so we wanted to make some adjustments to bring Gambit back in line after making a similar set of adjustments for Vanguard at the start of Season 16:
- We increased the base reputation gain for a match to 75, up from 50.
- We increased the value of each streak to 20 per streak, up from 15.
This increases the top-end reputation gain (a win on a 5-streak during Mythic/Legend ranks) to 250 a match (up from 200), and on the low end (a loss with no streak) to 75 (from 50). Overall, gains should be around 25% faster just from this change.
Grandmaster Rejoin: Lastly, we have some exciting news for all those Conquerors with bad connections. Starting in Season 17, if you get error-coded out of a non-matchmade Nightfall (any level), you will now rejoin after login. While in this state, you won’t be able to change builds or equipment in the game, the app, or on any third-party websites.
A voluntary option for rank purchases will be available starting in Season 17, which will be available starting in week three. In addition, Bungie will be offering a new rank package that includes 10 Season ranks that can only be purchased once a Season. This will be available in the Eververse Seasons tab on the first day of S17. There will be the option of the Season Pass plus 10 ranks for 2000 Silver, or a standalone option of 10 Season ranks for 1000 Silver if you already own the Season. Whichever option you go with, the 10 ranks can only be purchased once per account each season.